In this guide, we will discuss On-board Diagnostics (OBD) Scanners. Read this guide carefully if you’re looking for detailed information and a buyer’s guide on OBD scanners. In this guide, we have listed the Best OBD Scanners.
What is Onboard Diagnostic (OBD)?
OBD is a capability that helps to monitor the performance and issues in a vehicle’s engine, transmission, and other subsystems.
All modern vehicles come with an OBD port. It’s a 16-pin port that helps detect issues in a car or truck.
What is an OBD Scanner?
An OBD Scanner is a handy device that helps to diagnose any problems in your vehicle. It’s the least expensive and easiest method to detect any engine conflict and fix it.
The OBD scanners can do advanced tuning of engine performance and fuel efficiency.
All the latest vehicles come with an OBD port, and you can just plug in the device to gather all the information.
What is OBDII Scanner?
The concept of onboard diagnostic (OBD) was invented and implemented in 1969 by Volkswagen. However, it was not that advanced at that time.
Later, Datsun introduced their first-ever OBD car in 1978. Such OBD was named the first generation of OBD or OBD1.
With the time and advancement in technology, a lot of improvements done to OBD devices.
In 1996, General Motors launched and implemented the second generation of OBD. This was known as OBDII or OBD2.
The OBD2-enabled cars were much more advanced and feature-rich. Lots of sensors were implemented in the various parts of the engine and vehicle body.
The OBD2 scanners can do a lot of things. It can detect all your car problems and allow you to diagnose them easily.
In this article, we have listed some of the best OBD2 scanners that help fix your car issue and improve performance.
How do OBD scanners work?
All latest cars come with an Electronic Control Unit (ECU). Some people call it Engine Control Unit too. This ECU is programmed and works as a computer.
All the sensors of a car provide information to the ECU. Hence ECU has all the information about the car engine and body parts.
Sensors transmit the information to the electronic control unit whenever any error occurs.
An OBD port is located below the steering. You can plug in an OBD scanner to check all the information about your engine.
The OBD2 scanners come with Bluetooth technology. You can connect your smartphone or PC to collect all the information through an OBD scanner device.
An OBD2 scanner allows you to tune your engine performance and fuel efficiency. If there is any fault, you’ll get an error code on your OBD device called Diagnostic Trouble Code.
You should know the meaning of the error code. We have written a detailed guide about the meaning of frequent Diagnostic Trouble Codes.
Best OBD Scanners Of 2022
These are some of the best OBD scanners that work great with various car models-
- FIXD OBD2 Scanner – Top Pick (Lifetime Warranty)
- Autel MaxiCOM MK808 Scanner
- BlueDriver Pro OBDII Scan Tool
- LAUNCH CRP129X OBD2 Scan Tool
- Autel MaxiDiag MD806 Pro OBD Scanner
- Autel AutoLink AL319 OBD2 Scanner
- OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Scanner
- ANCEL AD410 OBD2 Scanner
- FOXWELL NT201 OBD2 Scanner
- INNOVA 6030P OBD2 Scan Tool
These are the most popular professional OBD2 scanners for cars. You can plug the scan tool into your OBD port and improve the performance and fix any vehicle issue in a few minutes.
1. FIXD OBD2 Scanner
FIXD is one of the best choices for professionals and individuals. It has the ability to scan 7000+ potential issues with your car.
This OBD2 scanner works with all the latest models of cars. It checks for all sensor functionality and detects- why Engine Check Light is ON?
It gives you an estimate of the car repair costs before you visit a mechanic shop. Also, you can fix lots of problems yourself if you’re a bit knowledgeable of On-board Diagnostic codes.
It’s a Bluetooth-powered obd2 scan tool that diagnoses all potential issues of your car. It allows you to connect your smartphone to detect the error code and the best possible solution.
FIXD OBD2 Scanner Features
Let’s have a look at some great features of this OBD scan tool…
FIXD car diagnostic tool is compatible with all cars manufactured after 1996. This device is also compatible with trucks and other vehicles with an OBD2 port.
Extensive Repair Solution:
FIXD has a huge database of car issues. It can detect almost 30 million errors that give you an accurate and complete solution.
Smart Android & iOS App:
FIXD has a smart application for Android as well as iPhone. The UI is clean and easy to use. You can detect thousands of issues in your vehicle and save thousands of dollars in repair.
It provides extensive customization options. You can customize all your vehicle information, such as Engine RPM, Tyre Pressure, Fuel Economy, Vehicle Speed, etc.
A smog check is a great feature offered by FIXD obd 2 scanner. It detects your exhaust sensor reading and informs you if your vehicle produces excessive emissions.
- It can detect over 30 million potential fixes.
- It provides clean UI and great customizations.
- It provides instant and accurate results.
- It allows exporting log files to a computer.
- It offers all basic and advanced levels of diagnosing features.
- It doesn’t support camshaft timing.
- It doesn’t read transmission temperature.
2. Autel MaxiCOM MK808 Scanner
If you’re a shop owner or professional mechanic, this Autel MaxiCOM MK808 is the best obd 2 scanner for you. It works with almost 80+ car makes and allows extensive engine tuning and performance optimization features.
This OBD2 scan tool offers 25+ advanced functions such as Oil Reset, Injector Coding, Odometer, IMMO Keys, Battery Registration, SAS Calibration, ABS Bleeding, etc…
This scanner detects all the details of a vehicle such as a manufacturer, model, year of manufacturing, etc. in just one click.
This professional OBD2 scan tool is power-packed with an A-9 processor and 32GB of memory, with 7 inch LCD screen for faster diagnosing and engine tunning features.
Autel is one of the most trustworthy brands for OBD scanners. On this product, the company provides a 30-days replacement guarantee and a 1-year warranty.
The company offers 24X7 customer support with responsive after-sales service. So, if you’re a professional mechanic then Autel MK808 is the best model for quick detection and engine tuning.
- It has 25+ advanced functions that provide complete vehicle tuning.
- It diagnoses all models of cars and trucks.
- The AutoVIN feature gets all the information about the vehicle.
- It gives a detailed report and the exact nature of the problem and possible fixes.
- The latest A-9 processor is super fast.
- It’s more suitable for a professional mechanic.
3. BlueDriver Pro OBDII Scan Tool
If you want a lightweight and portable smart obd2 scanner then BlueDriver Pro should be the right choice.
It’s a wireless obd2 scanner that connects with your smartphone and gives all scan results on your phone screen.
This device supports Android as well as iOS phones. Also, the application UI is highly customizable and easy to use.
If your Check Engine Light is glowing then this device can scan your ECU and report you exact problem in your vehicle.
It has a huge database of possible fixes and allows you to get an unlimited free repair report. Hence, you can understand the exact issue in your car.
- It’s a lightweight product that you can carry anywhere.
- It has a huge database of vehicle problems and possible fixes.
- You can easily understand what’s wrong with your car.
- It has Bluetooth technology that connects with any Android or iOS device.
- It scans your vehicle’s smog and informs if your vehicle is ready for a smog test or not.
- It works with all cars made after 1996.
- SRS, ABS, and Airbag feature only work with North American cars.
- Sometimes it loses Bluetooth connection.
4. LAUNCH CRP129X OBD2 Scan Tool
Launch CRP129X is an upgrade over CRP129. This upgrade adds two more reset services- TPMS reset and Throttle adaptation.
Apart from these, CRP129X offers AutoVIN Scan, Automatic Health Report, Battery Voltage Test, and a 1-click software update feature.
This model provides the following reset services- Oil Reset, Throttle Adaptation, Electronic Parking Brake, TPMS Reset, and Steering Angle Calibration.
It allows you to generate your vehicle health report in just one click. Also, you can share this report on your email address via WiFi.
The company provides 5 years warranty with 2 years of the assured software update. Also, they have a 60-days no-questions-asked return policy which means, in case you’re not satisfied with the performance, you return it within 2 months.
- This model adds two new reset functions- TPMS reset and Throttle adaptation.
- This device is equipped with an AutoVIN scan feature that gathers all the information about the vehicle such as Model, Make, Engine Type, etc.
- It’s a cheap and best obd2 scanner for professional use.
- The company provides 5 years warranty and 2 years of software updates.
- It supports 9 languages that include- English, Russian, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, etc.
- The customer service is not that responsive. You need to email them in case you have an issue with the device.
5. Autel MaxiDiag MD806 Pro OBD Scanner
Autel is a leading brand in the OBD scanner tool. This model is equipped with all the basic features. If you have a vehicle prior to 2015 then this one is the cheap and best obd scanner for non-professionals.
This OBD2 scanner supports all OBD2 protocols such as KWP2000, ISO9141, J1850 VPW, J1850 PWM, and CAN. It scans your vehicle and plots the result in graphical format.
It has an easy-to-understand UI. Also, the company provides lifetime free updates for this tool and fixes any existing bugs in the device.
- It works with Android as well as iPhone.
- It offers all basic to advanced engine tuning features.
- It supports all OBD2 protocols.
- It reads all transmission codes.
- It offers Oil reset, SAS calibration, DPF regeneration, EPB reset, and Battery registration.
- It doesn’t work with vehicles made after 2015.
How To Choose The Best OBD2 Scanner?
Even though you’re a professional mechanic, it’s a tough task for you to pick the best obd2 scanner. Because there are lots of new features added by upcoming OBD devices.
Here we shall explain- how to choose the best obd2 scanner tool as per your requirement.
1. Why do you need an OBD2 scan tool?
First of all, you should ask yourself- why do I need an OBD2 scanner? Here are a few possible answers-
- It saves time and money
OBD2 scanners are invented to diagnose any problems in your vehicle without inspecting them manually. Hence, and obd2 scan tool saves your time to detect the problem.
Also, if you’re not a mechanic then it saves money because you know the exact problem in your car. If you’re a mechanic then it saves your efforts and money to find optimize the performance.
- You understand your vehicle better
If the engine check light is glowing then you can detect the exact problem with an OBD2 scan tool. You can understand all possible information about your vehicle without any hassle.
2. Which OBD2 Scanner is best for you?
You should understand your need. If you’re not a professional mechanic then there’s no meaning in purchasing a costly device. If you’re a professional then you should get an obd2 scanner that is compatible with all models of vehicles.