Affordable Bluetooth scanners are good to read fault codes, but bidirectional scan tools are good for advanced diagnosis.
If you’re a professional mechanic (or ASE certified), then you need the best bidirectional obd2 scanners to do advanced diagnosis.
In this post, we’re going to discuss the features of various top-rated bidirectional scan tools, and I’ll share my honest review of some scan tools which are daily drivers in my garage.
Best Bidirectional OBD2 Scanners
What is a Bidirectional Scan Tool?
A bidirectional scan tool is an advanced version of the obd2 scanner that connects with your vehicle ECU and retrieves detailed information on fault codes.
Furthermore, it allows you to send commands to the ECU. Hence, it’s used by professional mechanics to reprogram and remap the ECU data to improve performance.
If you’re a professional mechanic, then a bi-direction obd2 scan tool is a must. You can not do an advanced diagnosis without a bi-directional scanner.
Let’s find out the features and unbiased reviews of some bi-directional scan tools…
1. INNOVA 5610 CarScan Pro Bidirectional OBD2 Scanner
Innova 5610 was the first bi-directional obd2 scan tool that I ordered from Amazon.
It’s one of the best bidirectional obd2 scanners that offer ECU reprogramming and remapping.
You can do in-depth scanning of your car and easily find the problem and fix it.
This is the most affordable and feature-rich bidirectional scan tool that works with all car manufacturers.
Innova 5610 bidirectional scanner can do all the basic tasks that you expect from a diagnostic tool.
It means you can read fault codes, clear diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), turn off MIL (Check Engine Light), and monitor live data.
Apart from that, it allows you to send commands to the car ECU for performance tuning and fuel economy.
It also allows monitoring ABS, SRS, fuel pump, injector, etc. You can also perform a smog check test at a home before going to your state’s transport authority.
- It’s an affordable bi-directional scan tool.
- It supports all vehicle that works on the OBD2 protocol.
- It’s a great diagnostic tool for mechanics.
- It’s easy to use and portable.
- You can live stream ABS, SRS, Fuel Pump, Injector, Electronic Parking Brakes, etc.
- It’s not a wireless device.
2. Thinkcar Thinktool Pros Bidirectional Scanner
Thinktool Pros is an advanced car diagnostic tool for a professional diagnosis. It has full system scanning with 31+ advanced reset functionalities.
Thinkcar Thinktool Pros is a bidirectional scan tool that became a primary choice for mechanics. This bidirectional OBD2 scanner is being used worldwide.
It provides OE-level features like ADAS calibration, Unlocks the engine after the collision, AdBlue reset, cancels ABS driving test, etc.
It’s a bidirectional scanner that takes commands from you and encodes the vehicle ECU. It also has Active test, Adaptation, Initialization, and over 31+ reset functions.
It’s a powerful bidirectional car scanning device that works on Android 10. It is equipped with a powerful processor with 4GB RAM and 64GB ROM to store the scanning logs.
It has a 6000mAh battery that lasts longer, and it supports many languages such as English, French, Italian, Japanese, Chinese, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, etc.
- It has over 31+ reset functionalities.
- It allows ECU reprogramming and remapping.
- It’s a multi-language device that supports over eight languages.
- It comes with 5 years warranty and 2 years of free software updates.
- It has built-in Bluetooth 5.0.
- Only 2 years of free software updates.
3. LAUNCH X431 Diagun V Bidirectional Scanner
The latest LAUNCH X431 bidirectional scan tool is a popular choice in the USA. It comes with all basic functionalities like obd2 code reading, trouble code scanning, check engine light reset, etc.
Above that, it can send commands to ECU, and you can tune the car’s performance according to your requirement. Also, you can program your Key and cancel the ABS driving test.
If your budget is $700 for an obd2 scanner, then LAUNCH X431 Diagun V is the right choice.
LAUNCH X431 is the best bidirectional tool that allows actuation tests. You can easily find out which actuator sensor functioning properly and which one needs to be fixed.
It also provides live data streaming so that a mechanic can find out the performance and fuel economy data in real-time.
This scan tool also supports key programming, oil reset, ABS bleeding, throttle reset, gear learning, IMMO, SAS, TPMS reset, and battery registering features.
- It supports ECU remapping and key programming.
- It performs all the basic functionalities of an OBD2 scanner.
- It supports ABS bleeding, oil reset, gear learning, battery registration, etc.
- It also supports Injector coding and TPMS reset.
- LAUNCH provides 5 years of warranty on the X431 bidirectional scanner.
- It doesn’t support diesel vehicles.
- It comes with only 2 years of free software updates.
4. Autel MaxiPro M808 Bidirectional Scan Tool
Autel is the most popular and reliable brand for OBD2 scanners. This MaxiPro M808 model is a bidirectional scan tool that supports ECU re-programming and many other advanced diagnoses.
The MaxiPro M808 has got new OE-level functions like Component matching, Power balance, Actuator test, Key programming, Online account setup, etc.
It comes with a 7-inch touchscreen and 32GB storage (which can be extended to 64GB with SD Card). You can generate, print, and share vehicle health reports easily.
It has all the basic and advanced scanning features. It also supports TPMS reset, ABS bleeding, SAS, DPF, etc.
This new 2022 Autel MaxiPro bidirectional scanner is great for ASE-certified mechanics to perform advanced diagnoses.
It supports advanced scanning of the body, chassis, powertrain, fuel system, light system, etc.
It has auto VIN functionality that retrieves the vehicle information and performs a quick scanning, and generates a health report to save your time.
It comes with 5 years of warranty by Autel and a 60-day return and replacement policy.
- It has an Auto VIN feature that retrieves vehicle details automatically.
- It’s a bi-directional scanner that offers ECU re-programming and remapping.
- It has key programming and tons of actuator test features.
- The company provides a 60-days return and replacement guarantee.
- The scanner has 5-years of warranty by Autel.
- No throttle reset active test functionality.
5. ANCEL V6 Pro Bidirectional Scan Tool
ANCEL V6 Pro is also a leading product being used in thousands of automobile workshops.
It’s a cheap and best bidirectional obd2 scan tool that can perform an in-depth diagnosis of any car and truck.
The ANCEL V6 works with more than 80+ car make and over 10000+ models. So, compatibility shall be not an issue.
It can stream live data of any car for in-depth analysis and performance tuning. It has an 8-inch display that takes commands from the mechanic and sends them to ECU.
It works on Android 10, and the company provides lifetime free software updates. It has an 8000mAh rechargeable battery that lasts more than three days.
ANCEL V6 Pro is a feature-rich bidirectional obd2 scan tool that comes with more than 15+ reset services.
It comes with IMMO, ABS bleeding, Injector coding, Oil reset, DPG regen, EPB, Key programming, TPMS reset, battery registration, and many other advanced reset functions.
You can do a quick scan of the vehicle’s ECU and generate a health report. It also clears OBD2 codes and turns off the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL).
- It’s a fully bi-directional scan tool.
- It supports ECU reprogramming and remapping.
- It has TPMS reset functionality.
- It supports SAS and ESP system diagnosis.
- It gets a lifetime free software update.
- It only supports 15 reset services.
6. XTOOL EZ400 Pro Bidirectional Scan Tool
XTOOL EZ400 Pro is yet another bidirectional tool that supports OE-level diagnosis with 16+ reset services.
This is a fully wireless obd2 scanner that is powered by a 1.65Ghz quad-core processor and dual-band WiFi.
It operates on Android 5.1 and has a 7-inch HD touchscreen display to perform the diagnosis and feed commands.
It supports two languages i.e. English and Spanish.
- It’s an affordable bi-directional car scanner.
- It supports OE full-system diagnosis and advanced ECU coding.
- It has a user-friendly interface.
- It supports over 16+ service functions.
- Android 5.1 is an outdated OS.
- After-sale service is not great.
7. FOXWELL NT510 ELITE OBD2 Scanner
If you’re searching for the cheapest bidirectional obd2 scanner for DIY works, this Foxwell NT510 is a great choice.
It’s the best bidirectional scan tool for cars and trucks under a $200 budget. Although it’s not as feature-rich as other tools mentioned above, it has sufficient features for DIY works.
This scanner has a clean UI and easy-to-navigate buttons. It has many advanced features like brake deactivation, ABS module activation, Battery registration, Oil light reset, traction and throttle body adjustment, DPF regeneration, etc.
The Foxwell NT510 Elite can be used as a universal scanner for scanning error codes, cleaning DTCs, and checking live engine data.
- It’s a universal scan tool for the USA and European cars.
- It supports advanced services like key programming, oil light reset, and battery registration.
- It’s a pocket-friendly scan tool for DIYers.
- It has an AutoVIN feature that retrieves all details of any vehicle.
- It’s not a wireless device.
- It has only a 1-year warranty.
8. XTOOL D8BT Wireless Diagnosis Tool
If you do not want a wired diagnostic tool, then XTOOL D8BT is a perfect choice. This is an upgraded version of the XTOOL D8 scanner. It works wirelessly because it has a built-in Bluetooth feature.
It supports ECU coding for Volkswagon and Skoda cars. You can enable premium functions on BMW, Ford, Audi, Mazda, Toyota, Lincoln, etc.
If you want to disable the annoying seatbelt buzzer and deactivate the lost key.
You can perform EVAP test, Compression test, turn on/off radiator fan, Fuel pump, Window/Mirror/Door Lock Test, Pump and Value Tests, Interior & exterior lights test, Sound horn test, etc.
- It supports fuel injector balance.
- You can do Oil reset, Key programming, ABS bleeding, Crankshaft position sensor relearn, etc.
- It comes with a 2-year warranty and 3 years of software updates.
- It’s a wireless bidirectional scan tool that supports all car make and model.
- It has 31+ OE-level system diagnostics.
- It’s an expensive device.
- After-sale service could be improved.
9. Foxwell NT809 Bidirectional Scanner
Foxell NT809 is a wireless bi-directional car scanner that performs in-depth scanning. It’s a great choice for garage owners because it supports ECU coding and performance tuning.
This scanner is powered by a 1.65Ghz quad-core processor with 32GB storage space for scanning logs.
Also, a 7-inch responsive touchscreen makes it easy to send commands for testing.
The NT809 scanner is designed to quickly diagnose all available control modules of any cars and mini trucks.
It gives a real-time diagnosis report where you can read engine rpm, throttle position, coolant temperature, intake air temperature, battery voltage, etc.
Overall, it’s the Best Foxwell OBD2 scanner for advanced diagnosis. If you’re a DIYer, this could be your best daily driver.
- It quickly diagnoses all car modules.
- It works with all car make and models.
- It has a one-click Wifi update feature to save time.
- It supports diesel vehicles too.
- It clears all diagnostic trouble codes and turn off MIL.
- It’s an expensive device.
10. VDIAGTOOL VT360 Bidirectional Scan Tool
Last but not least, VT360 is a highly portable bidirectional scan tool for cars and SUV trucks.
It can unfold hidden functions of your to improve overall performance and disable annoying functions.
Although this device looks small it is a cable for ECU coding and remapping. You can perform OE-level full system diagnosis with a VT360 OBD2 scanner.
The company provides 3-years of software updates with a 1-year warranty for the device.
- It’s very compact and portable.
- It supports all American, Asian, European, and Chinese cars.
- It provides OE-level all system diagnoses.
- It’s made up of durable plastic.
- It supports TPMS functionalities of Toyota and Fords only.
Does my Car Support Bidirectional Scanners?
Bi-directional scanners are advanced obd2 scanners that certified mechanics use to do in-depth scanning of cars.
These scanners support all OBD2 compliant vehicles.
All those vehicles made and sold after 1996 in the USA are compatible with OBD2 scan tools.
What is the Cheapest Bidirectional Scan Tool?
INNOVA 5610 is the cheapest bi-directional OBD2 scanner that cost approx $300 on Amazon. It receives lifetime free software updates. It works with all cars that come with the OBD2 protocol.
Is a Bidirectional Scanner Worth It?
If you’re a professional mechanic, you should have a bidirectional scanner to find out problems in the car.
Bidirectional scanners can send commands to ECU, and it’s totally worth it for professionals.
If you’re not a professional mechanic, you can buy Bluetooth OBD2 scanners to read the fault codes of your vehicle.
Is BlueDriver Bidirectional?
BlueDriver is a Bluetooth-enabled car scanner for finding and clearing diagnostic trouble codes.
It’s only used for scanning ECU, and you can not send commands to your ECU. Hence, BlueDriver is not a bidirectional scanner for cars and trucks.
Is Ancel V6 Bidirectional?
Ancel V6 Pro is a great tool for car scanning. It’s not a fully bidirectional tool, but you can perform over 15 advanced scannings.
Which Autel Scanner is Bidirectional?
Autel is a leading brand of OBD2 scanners. They’ve many scanners that send commands to ECU.
Autel MaxiPro M808 is the best bidirectional tool used by professional mechanics in the garage.